Create a Theorist’s Learning Environment (Individual Activity)
You will be assigned an educational theorist to research once I confirm who is in the course (see table below).
|Theorist||Student assigned||Theorist||Student assigned|
|Emile Durkheim||Sher||Jerome Bruner||Sher|
|Howard Gardner||Asheesh Nigam||Lev Vygotsky||Ovais|
|Barry Zimmerman||Liisa K||Jean Piaget||Waqar|
|Geert Hofstede||Siriwimon||Paulo Freire||Mustafa Ali|
|Confucius||Ovais||Benjamin Bloom||Jiby M|
|B.F. Skinner||Waqar||Malcolm Knowles||Heidi V|
|Catharine Beecher||Siriwimon||David Kolb||Liisa K|
|John Dewey||Salman||George Siemens||Salman|
|Maria Montessori||Heidi V||Socrates||Jiby M|
|Albert Bandura||Mustafa Ali||John Flavell|
|James Banks||Asheesh Nigam|
Here are the steps:
- You will have to create 2 visual images of a classroom environment that would have been created by 2 theorists (one image for each theorist) for a subject that you are familiar with (ex. make an image of Paulo Freire’s classroom as if he were to teach engineering and then an image of John Dewey’s classroom as if he were teaching engineering or another subject).
- Individuals will share links to their images as a blog posts below.
- Your blog post should have the following:
- The image.
- A paragraph description of the main theory that your theorist presented.
- List three things about your image that give evidence for why it is a good reflection for this educational theory and compare between the images.
- View and read at least one other reflections linked to this page that you think have a similarity to your own classroom image. This should be done before the second AC session on 11.10.17. Demonstrate that you have done this by offering a comment connected to these posts stating how you think it is similar to your own image.
When is it due
- Your images and reflections should be linked to this page as a post by the end of the day on October 7 2017.
- One comment completed by October 11 2017.
How you will be assessed
The activity will be assessed based on the quality of images and descriptions provided. Assessments will be made on a scale (1 to 5) using the following criteria:
- Awareness of the ideological basis of different conceptualizations in the educational sciences;
- Self-reflexivity: ability to connect academic learning with personal learning
- Professional reflection: ability to connect academic learning with professional context(s)
- Social analysis: development of critical literacy and ability to engage with complexity, uncertainty and diversity