During this online module students will focus on the basics of vocational pedagogy concerning teaching and guidance. You will also get familiar with skills related to digital pedagogy. These skills you will document by using digital badges.
During the module students will
-get familiar with the documents that regulate teaching, guiding and education planning
– apply various theories and approaches to learning and education
– comprehend the relevance of the learning process in the planning of teaching and guidance
-implement teaching based on relevant pedagogical choices
-understand the purpose and objectives of assessment
-acknowledge that internationality and multiculturality are issues that have an impact on teaching and the work of a teacher
-explicate your own competence by using research results and learning theories affiliated with teaching, guiding and learning in your own substance field
– work bearing in mind the values of your profession and the ethical principles of teachers in vocational education and vocational higher education
– acknowledge the laws, amendments and guidelines that regulate the work of a teacher and act according to them.
The online sessions will take place according the schedule.
The core questions for the sessions are:
Tue 5.9. 2017: Planning
- How do the official documents and regulations affect the planning of the teaching in your vocational field? Where can you find all this information?
- How do different learning theories and views of learning affect the planning of the teaching in your particular vocational field and in competence-based education? (Choose at least two different ones for comparison. Coordinate with team with core question 3 in order to choose different ones.)
- How do different learning theories and views of learning affect the planning of the teaching in your particular vocational field and in competence-based education? (Choose at least two different ones for comparison. Coordinate with team with core question 2 in order to choose different ones.)
- How do you find the core content of the curriculum? How and why we personalize study plans on different vocational school levels?
Wed 20.9.2017: Assessment and feedback
1. What are the goals and intended outcomes of assessment and feedback in vocational education?
- What are the regulations and principles that outline the methods and principles of assessment in vocational education and higher education?
- What is the difference of assessing competence and assessing learning process?
- What are the most common assessment methods, how do they work and differ from each other?
Tue 3.10. 2017 : Implementation
1. What are group (or team) dynamics and what collaborative methods or practises can be used in teaching?
2. How do the particular teaching methods promote individual learning process and personalized learning paths?
3. How does vocational teacher tutor and guide groups (teams)?
4. How does vocational teacher tutor and guide individuals?
Wed 18.10. 2017 Internationalism and multiculturalism
1. How can vocational teacher operate in an international network and promote student’s opportunities there?
2. In the school organizations of your vocational field, what opportunities are there for international projects, work exchange and teacher exchange?
3. How does ECVET, student and work force mobility affect vocational education?
4. How can a vocational teacher consider multiculturalism in school settings?
Tue 31.10. 2017: Mid-assessment of individual work
- Check that you are addressing the all the questions and tasks of the previous sessions! Make sure the links and images work. Run a spell check on your text.
- You will give feedback for another student. The name will be provided to you by tutors.
Wed 8.11. 2017: Legal issues
- What are the principles of good administration and how are they evident in the everyday work of a teacher?
- What are the duties of a student and how does a teacher ensure the peaceful environment in the workplace?
- How does a teacher take into account the issue of privacy and data security in teacher’s work?
- How do teachers ensure legal protection and equality of justice for the students?
Check out the link to for the complete instruction for the legal issues.
The task will be explained online in the beginning of the session on the 18th of October.
Tue 21.11. 2017: RDI
1. How can a vocational teacher find communities and participate in the develepoment of his/her own field?
2. What are some current RDI –trends in your vocational field? Where can one find information on them?
3. What is Progressive inquiry and how can teacher develop his/her own work through this process?
4. What are the skills and ethical principles required in the RDI?
On your own time:
Special needs pedagogy in vocational education
(Choose deadline with tutors!)
Your tasks, step by step:
A. Discuss all of the following questions with your small group. Use resources to back your comments and argumentation. Have the discussion in an AC room on your own, record it and send the link of the recording to the tutors (Janne, Juha & Taina).
B. As a reply (when you have sent the link), you will get a link to a panel discussion where experts discuss the same questions. Watch and listen to this discussion and compare the results of your own discussion with the panel’s point of views.
C. Report in your personal blog. What were the key findings in your discussion? What observations did you make comparing your discussion to the panelists’ discussion?
- As a vocational teacher , how can you support a student with special needs? (Miten ammatillisena opettajana voit tukea erityisen tuen tarpeessa olevaa opiskelijaa?)
The Journal For Vocational Special Needs Education (2008). 31(1–3). Retrieved October 16, 2016 from http://www.specialpopulations.org/Whole_Journal/JVSNEVol3120_201_3_Fall08_1_56_Complete.pdf
Special needs education. Retrieved October 16, 2016 from https://vipunen.fi/en-gb/vocational/Pages/Erityisopetus.aspx
Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): Special education [e-publication]. ISSN=1799-1617. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 16.10.2016]. Access method: http://www.stat.fi/til/erop/index_en.html
- What does the concept of inclusion mean in practise?
What does the concept of accessibility mean in an educational context?
What is a pedagogically accessible learning environment?
Stolz, S. & Gonon, P. (2012). Studies in Vocational and Continuing Education: Challenges and Reforms in Vocational Education: Aspects of Inclusion and Exclusion. Peter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften.
Gibson, S. & Haynes, J. (2009). Perspectives on Participation and Inclusion: Engaging Education (1). Continuum.
Access4allproject. Retrieved October 16, 2016 from http://access4allproject.eu/
- What do the student welfare services (in Finnish: opiskeluhuolto) mean in vocational schools and in higher education?
The Nordic Youth Research among 16 to 19 year old in Åland Islands, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden October 2010. ICSRA, Icelandic Centre for Social Research and Analysis Rannsóknir & greining. Retrieved October 16, 2016 from http://okm.fi/export/sites/default/OPM/Nuoriso/kansainvalinen_yhteistyo/Nordic-Benelux_-seminaari_indikaattoreista/Indikaattoriseminaarin_liitteet/Youth_and_welfare_report_nordic_is_.pdf?lang=en
Oppilas- ja opiskelijahuoltolaki 30.12.2013/1287. www.finlex.fi
Tues 5.12. 2017 Vocational encounters, values and ethics
(Choose deadline with tutors!)
1. Individual task
Review your posts regarding this study module.
What indicates the competence in values and ethics in vocational teacher’s actions?
How are the values and ethics present in
-assessment and feedback
-teaching and guiding methods
-special need education
-intercultural and international issues
2. Publish in your blog
3. Read and comment your team members’ post about the same issue.
Wed 20.12.2017: Assessment of individual work, recognizing the (development of) competence.
Mon 8.1. 2018 OULU: Teaching and guiding module wrap-up